|Oh I wish it could be Christmas every day-ay-ay!|
|Measure! Mix! Bake! (Eat!!!)|
|Santa baby, slip some shortbread under the tree for me...|
For about 30 shortbread cookies you will need...... to pre-heat the oven to 170°C
175g butter, softened
75g caster sugar
200g plain flour
50g corn flour
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
a pinch of fine table salt
2 tablespoons candied orange peel, diced
2 tablespoons iced water
1. Place the butter and sugar in a food mixer or a large bowl and mix together until fluffy and paler in colour.
2. Mix in the plain flour, corn flour, vanilla essence, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and salt. When these are mixed into a fine sandy crumb, add in the candied peel.
3. Finally, add in the water, mixing just until the ingredients come together in a ball.
4. Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 7mm / ¼ inch. Cut out Christmassy (or other) shapes and place on a non-stick (or lightly floured) baking sheet. Squash any off-cuts into a ball and re-roll.
5. Bake the cookies in the pre-heated oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until evenly golden.
6. Transfer to a cooling rack. When cold, dust with icing sugar or dip in decent quality melted chocolate – dark, milk, or white, I’ll leave it up to you. I’m feeling far too lazy to make that decision!
|Aaah - the perfect antidote to Christmas shopping!|